History of the Building
The Pacific Coast Steamship Company building was built in 1906 following the San Francisco earthquake. This property has many well known names associated with it. The Castro family received the property in a land grant. Later in 1868, the property was owned by Charles Moss, the town's namesake, and Donald Beadle (both in shipping). The Pacific Coast Steamship Company purchase the property in 1881 and the PCSC owned the property when the current two story building was built. The Pacific Coast Steamship Company was sold in 1917 to the Pacific Steamship Company run by John Scudder. The Capurro Family owned the property in the mid1900s and used it as a family residence. The York family established the Moss Landing Harbor Chapel here and regularly held church services in the building. In more recent years, the building has been home to countless Moss Landing Marine Laboratories students.
This building was originally built as an office building with 6 individual offices and a parlor. In later years one office became a kitchen, a dining/laundry nook was added, and a narrow bathroom fit in.
The simple colonial revival style is in vernacular pyramid cottage form used just after the turn of the century mostly in "company towns". The porch front is simple Tuscan order. The two downstairs front windows are Queen Anne cottage style. The simple fireplaces include bricks salvaged from damaged buildings in the 1906 earthquake made by the Sante Fe masonry.
This building has been fully rennovated and recently opened as a bed and breakfast in by Captain Yohn and Melanie Gideon. The effort to save this building has been awarded a historic preservation award from the Moss Landing Chamber of Commerce.
In the back, a boathouse with guestrooms has been added. This building takes advantage of views of wildlife and the marshlands.
Yohn and Melanie are searching for historic photographs of the building, both inside and out. Please contact them if you have photographs or leads for photographs.
Centennial Celebration Fun Trivia
- The Pacific Coast Steamship Company building (PCSC) was built in Moss Landing, California following the the San Francisco 1906 earthquake. Much of the Moss Landing area was flattened and damaged in that quake.
- The PCSC was built starting in Fall of 1906 and completed in early spring 1907.
- It is thought that some of the materials used to construct the building were salvaged from the 1906 quake debris. For example, there are bricks of many manufacturers and beams marked with varying late dates.
- It has been fully renovated by Captain Yohn and Melanie Gideon just in time for its Centennial.
Much of the lumber had the Pacfic Coast Steamship Company Stamp on it. Nearly all the lumber is old growth redwood and the original floors are douglass fir.
A piece of the original wall can be viewed in the Inn's upstairs Chart room
Many of the original 1906 carpenters autographed the back of the lumber and trim boards. We preserved their signatures and returned them to their locations in the building.
One member of the original residential families - the Scudders, John stops by to visit once and awhile.
Many, many couples have been married here. Weddings were held when there were families, when it was a church, and now as an Inn. Some of these couples have come to the Inn for anniversaries and tell us of their stories.
There used to be a harbor seal in residence here. It used the redwood staircase to go to it's favorite room, the bath tub upstairs.
We found many interesting items in the walls and cubbies when we rennovated. The "finds" include a handwritten love letter, children's black and white school photos, 1912 business journal, 1940 easter candies, milk bottle caps, a silver spoon, 1908 christmas card, and more. Some on display in the dining room.